A Face Saving Side of Thailand
Image Credit: Flickr (wahyubumi)

A Face Saving Side of Thailand

Earlier this year I travelled across the Muslim dominated provinces of southern Thailand and northwest to Krabi, meeting up with the British photographer and author Dan White. We rode on to the picturesque beachside town of Ao Nang, bought our tickets and boarded a boat to the popular tourist beach, Railay.

Along the way we happened upon a simple scam. A return boat ticket was purchased but when we decided to head home the captain refused to recognize the return leg saying it was a fake. All the tourists were told to buy new tickets and urged to complain to the vendor in Ao Nang.

Problem: The vendor, working in cahoots with the boat captains, had gone home.  Several hundred tourists a day times a few dollars adds up quickly.  White was angry, and called the police who were well abreast of the scam but had done little to shut it down. They also asked White not to write about it because they would lose face, alongside lucrative tourist dollars through negative stereotyping.

Several months later a 19-year-old Dutch girl is raped near the same town and the authorities are accused of declining to act in a manner befitting of the crime. Her angry father, a musician, writes and records a song in protest, posts it on YouTube and has a most unexpected hit on his hands.

Predictably, Thailand then went on the offensive with the Tourism Minister Chumphol Silpa-archa saying it couldn't be rape because the victim dined with the suspect. The backlash was palpable and made even worse by an eight minute video by a Krabi police officer who shared such gems as “someone doesn't just rape out of the blue” and another four-and-half minute video, also posted on YouTube, in Thai claiming the father did not understand this country’s legal processes.

The videos backfired badly and have since been removed but such face saving efforts by the authorities are often as legendary as the crimes. Among the most memorable was the downing of a Cathay Pacific flight over Vietnam in 1972, killing all 81 people on board.

Recounted in Reporter by legendary journalist John McBeth, he pieces together evidence that persistently points to one man, Thai police lieutenant, Somchai Chaiyasut. Forensic evidence supported the theory that the blast came from a seat occupied by a pretty coffee shop hostess Somwang Prompin who was travelling with the Chaiyasut’s seven-year-old daughter to Hong Kong for a shopping trip.

Chaiyasut denied allegations he packed C4 explosives into Somwang's cosmetic case and argued: "How could I kill my own daughter?" He had taken out two insurance policies shortly before take off.

The judge found a bomb was placed on board but stunned the prosecution by finding Chaiyasut not guilty. McBeth believes this was because a Thai judge refused to believe a Thai would do that to his own daughter. The insurance company paid out and Somchai moved to the U.S., returning two years later with terminal cancer.

In January 2008 Canadian John Leo Del Pinto, 23, was murdered and Carly Reisig injured in Pai. A police officer, Uthai Dechawiwat, was charged but granted bail. He subsequently beat his 18-year-old pregnant wife to death and was then jailed for 25-years.

Whether the crimes are unfathomable – like rape and murder – or a simple tourist scam, Thai authorities too often look to excuse their own, especially when a crime involves a foreigner, in order to save face and prevent any further embarrassment. But in the modern era of social media, the court of public opinion has become emboldened and impossible to shut down and thankfully such face-saving antics are becoming harder to carry off.

Comments
Errol
December 5, 2012 at 05:41

We have that scam in Manila too. Even locals are victimized. Best way to avoid it, I've found, is upon baording, check if the driver knows the destination. if he says no and you know the way, tell him the directions and ensure he sticks to the route provided. Another scam involves meters that run too fast. What should be a 100 peso fare becomes more. At that point, I usually dispute the number and only give what is supposed to be the normal fare.

Elias Martin
December 4, 2012 at 22:15

I have not traveled to Thailand or other countries in Southeast Asia since 1981; however, in my travels to South America with my family, I always used chaffeured hotel cars.  It was expensive, but safer.  Wherever I travel, I do my homework because in most countries, there will always be people looking to scam you out, or worse, kill you.  It is good to know what to expect and avoid before getting on a plane to any destination.

natron
December 4, 2012 at 18:55

Wow, you guys are making me scared, I have been to Thailand more than 25 times over the past 12 years, never had anything untoward happen, although I suspect because as an American, I have lived in Asia almost 30 years, I tend to avoid known potential trouble situations and areas where there is the potential for scams. (never buy jewelry or expensive items when out of town)

mausplan
December 3, 2012 at 03:32

This week a long article apeared in an English language Thai paper about tourist safety concerns. It was prompted by an Australian TV story about an Austrailan couple injured in a motorcycle crash caused by another out of control bike ridden by a Thai.  The Australian female passenger killed.     The Thai police , according to her partner, tried to extract a substantial bribe to return his passport.  After a standoff for over a week over his refusal to pay they  gave it back in return for his written agreement it was an accident even though there is video evidence of the Thai riders culpability. This is more than just a monentary issue as noted in this article , it is a deeper cultural  concern that shows in things such as two tiered pricing and jet ski scams and duty free rip offs.

Leonard R.
December 2, 2012 at 10:41

I've been traveling a lot to Thailand on business.  But I avoid the tourist places. My biggest problem is taxi drivers  who get lost while the meter is running. But there is no face-saving involved. I jut pay them without arguing.

jon
December 2, 2012 at 08:57

ahhhh the lying smilers,seems like the worlds getting the range on this purile shallow and corrupt cultyre,its everywhere not just the cases youve outlined,ive lived here 15 yrs,most people r poorly educated,its an obedience course as opposed to education.thats part of the problem,the arrogance n the culture is extreme,cant be told what to doa s they know everything,they are really pissed of u know more than they!in my officea eng lang grad was dismissedas she couldnt speak english,well she couldnt understand the brits and yanks that worjked there,her answer was well you cant speak english properly!there u have it in a nutshell,the truth in this countryHaHa no no no,we r such wonderful people we never do anything wrong and if you speak the truth youll be re viled hated and threatened,enough