Kim Yu-na Dazzles at 2013 World Figure Skating Championship
Image Credit: Wikicommons

Kim Yu-na Dazzles at 2013 World Figure Skating Championship

It was a long time coming, but Kim Yu-na returned to ice skating last weekend to take the 2013 World Figure Skating Championship.

The South Korean returned to the rink in late 2012 after being out of action for 20 months, stepping back from the ice shortly after winning gold for her legendary performance in the 2010 Winter Olympics.

In London, Ontario, the 22 year-old couldn't quite match her performance three years ago when she set world records that still stand. Such a thing would be nearly impossible. But she still thrilled fans with a show of rare beauty and technical brilliance.

Her great rival, Asada Mao of Japan, took bronze but like the rest of the field was unable to catch "Queen Yuna" and her winning margin of more than 20 points. Italy’s Carolina Kostner finished second.

“I had a great long program today and I am proud I could do it,” Kim said. “I am happy as well to skate here in Canada again with this wonderful audience. I am glad too that we have more spots for Korea at the Olympics and I want to experience this with my fellow skaters,” she added, referring to the fact that her winning gold means Korea can have three female skaters at next year’s Olympics.

Kim announced her planned return in 2012 with the 2013 World Figure Skating Championship and the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi in mind. She has said that she will retire for good after that.

When she made the announcement, nobody doubted her talent, but some questioned whether she would still have the same desire to succeed. She even wondered herself.

"I felt a bit empty because I had achieved my goal," Kim said after Thursday's short program when she finished on top of the field. Many felt that the judges had marked her a little harshly. "It's hard to get back on the ice with the same mentality. I wasn't as nervous as I imagined."

The comeback was stunning after such a long period away from the ice during which she helped the South Korean city of Pyeongchang win in its bid to host the 2018 Winter Olympics

At the moment, it looks like the only person who can stop Kim from winning gold in 2014 is herself.

"The way I think about skating and how I feel and worry about competitions certainly changed," Kim said. "I don't feel the pressure that much anymore after winning the Olympic Games because I have accomplished all I wanted to.”

She added, "I don't focus on the results only. I just want to enjoy skating and the competition together. Still, I am a human being and I still want to try my best and get good results."

Comments
ar
April 6, 2013 at 11:01

Yuna Kim is a fake queen. Her score is obviously overrated!!!

macy
February 14, 2014 at 10:19

Kim Yuna’s score is one of the supernatural fenomenon. She carefully choose the contest to participate, but whenever she participate she always get highest or unbelievable record. Why? You should check the judges when she get high score. so far.

macy
February 14, 2014 at 10:20

In Canada when she got gold medal, there are 2 korean judges and one canadian, and her coach was Canadian. And the tutorial example video about how to score, she was the scater who show the good example of best score skating. This means someone who can skate like her can get the best scores from judges. Korean people are very strongly united to protect their pride cause they don’t have real pride. But that is their power which enable them to be successful suddenly so far.

Pete
April 5, 2013 at 14:00

Elaine, you need your eyes checked. You prefer Kostner?

She can't even stay on her feet she looks like s-l-o-w giant moose wading throught the marsh.

Kostner is nor graceful or artistic. Just look at Yuna she is gorgeous, graceful besides being athletic.

Yuna reminds me of a beautiful ballarina brought tears to my eyes and I'm not even a skating fan.

Without Yuna you saw how little interest there were in ice skating didn't ya?

She's a living legend !

I've never seen a more

Alan
March 30, 2013 at 18:44

This silly diatribe about "US and Western values" sounds even more ridiculous when you consider that women's figure skating is currently dominated by atheltes from the East.

Ku Ku Pa
March 25, 2013 at 13:53

U obviously a novice at figure skating. Kim Yu Na is AMAZING in her artistry and technical ability!!!!!

paul
March 25, 2013 at 08:57

I must agree with you Chris.Yu na kim is so gifted yet she practice 7 hours a day still,and she is surprisingly innocent and humbled

aX
March 24, 2013 at 06:40

Just Youtube it! ;)

aX
March 24, 2013 at 06:39

Kim Yuna is far from overrated! Silly comment by Elaine!

Dick
March 21, 2013 at 01:07

Figure skating is one of many beautiful things achieved by western civilizations. It is a athletisizm and choreography and art in one. From time to time skaters come up with fantastic performances that stays with you for a long time. With many US skaters participating it was unthinkable for me not to find a live broadcast over cable networks for a once a year event. Tendency of departure from western values breaks my heart, it will be end of the USA and humankind progress.

Chris
March 19, 2013 at 08:00

Totally disagree with your assessment.  Kim Yuna is a work of art…her athleticism together with her delicate artistry and musicality are unrivaled and are feast for the eyes.  She's absolutely exquisite and heads and shoulders above everyone else.  She's truly magical and a gift to women's figure skating.

ginny
March 19, 2013 at 01:12

maybe if at least one of the USA networks had carried the 2013 Championships for me to watch I'd be able to make a comment

Elaine
March 18, 2013 at 15:34

Im being honest  Shes Over rated I dont like her skating style!. Prefer Kostners soft fluidity and grace!