North Korea at
Image Credit: Flickr - Creative Commons License

North Korea at "No.1 Combat Readiness Status."

0 Likes
6 comments

With South Korea marking the third anniversary of North Korea’s sinking of the ROKS Cheonan today, Pyongyang’s state media announced that the country was going into a “No. 1 combat readiness status.” South Korean officials and North Korean exiles said the media report was the first time the term No. 1 combat readiness status has been used, and speculated that it was the highest state of alert that could be undertaken.

"From this moment, the Supreme Command puts all of its field artillery including strategic rocket units and long-range artillery units into the No. 1 combat ready posture," the Supreme Command of the North Korean Army said in a statement Yonhap News Agency reported citing a report carried by North Korea’s state media.

The statement, citing the U.S. recently flying B-52 nuclear-capable bombers in South Korean skies as part of an ongoing annual military drill, went on to say: “"The U.S. nuclear war racket has gone beyond the danger line and entered the phase of an actual war, defying the repeated warnings from the army and people of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).”  

The strategic rocket and long range arterially units are supposedly aimed at U.S. bases in the region like Guam, as well as the U.S. homeland.

According to News Focus International, a site run by North Korean exiles, the statement also said: ““Remember that at our first shot everything will be blown away, everything will turn to ash.”

News Focus International also explained the significance of No. 1 combat readiness status as referring to Kim Jong-un himself. “The use of ‘Grade 1′ is an unusual move. This is because in North Korea, ‘Grade 1′ is considered as a sanctified adjective and is reserved for the ruling Kim,” the website said, speculating that in this context it was implying that the order had been given by Kim Jong-un personally.

This would be consistent with what has been coming out of North Korea in recent weeks. As many South Korean media outlets have noted, in recent days the North Korean media has been carrying of reports of Kim Jong-un visiting multiple military sites each day. This stands in contrast to last week when Kim Jong-un spent an entire day discussing light industry at a conference.

According to Daily NK, another website run by North Korean exiles that has many sources inside the country, North Korea's reserve forces have been in a state of mobilization for over three months since the country’s rocket launch back in December.

Over the past month mobilization drills have been intensified to include the entire population, according to Daily NK, which again cited sources inside North Korea.

Comments
6
Matt
March 31, 2013 at 13:40

War games are nothing everyone does them, so technically the DPRK are being ignored, measures are taken such as at the UN after the test. As Petraeus use to say the enemy gets a vote and like Syria this is about the survival of the inner circle. So as he is ignored and due to the stakes tensions rise. Doing nothing is in the US best interest, for the regime it is not it is about survival. And that is what the US was doing Clinton even said so with the old man. Since then asides from the blip during the transition, the regime is getting more shaky, fiscally. That is partly due to the Arab Spring and meth flooding SEA from Iran. Time is on the US side, they just wait, for the DPRK the long they are ignored, the worse it gets. He has used all his tools short of launching war and the US are still ignoring the DPRK. The choice war or collapse or give up the WMD program. They made it clear they won't give up the WMD, they don't want to collapse and you have seen the lengths Assad has gone too, to stay in power. He will either attack or continue to be ignored and face collapse.

Nguoi Phan Bien
March 27, 2013 at 23:48

@Bankotsu

Only those who are willing and ready to put his OWN LIFE on the line should have the right to advocate for war. All armchair pundits who are NOT willing and ready to do so should just shut up in order to preserve your dignity as a human being. Take it from me, a veteran of real life combats in a real war. But I also think the West should be prepared, stay calm but try not to react foolishly like some of the very irresponsible and idiotic pundits on the Internet.

Tadami Kobayashi
March 27, 2013 at 19:02

N Korea SHOULD shoot down US's B-52s if they fly over N Korea's airspace.  Obama – peacemaker and Nobel Peace Prize winner? What rubbish.  This man, like George Bush before him, has been inflaming the world unncessarily through his hardline positions.

ACT
March 27, 2013 at 05:16

this is most likely posturing; even Kim-Jong Un–western educated as he is–is not stupid enough to let the NKPLA off of its leash, and doing so would–unless China intervenes–spell the end of the government in Pyongyang. However, if North Korea is serious, and they do actually fire weaponry in response to U.S B-52s flying over South Korea, then i suspect that they are counting on the PRC intervening.

Matt
March 27, 2013 at 02:30

It is important to understand the nature of this regime when gauging these threats. This regime holds 100s of thousands of civilians in concentration camps forcing them to starve to death and it has recently killed 50 South Koreans in two unprovoked attacks. If there is such thing as "evil" North Korea defines it. The US, ROK  and a "coalition of the willing" should immediately neutralize this gross threat and afront to humanity.

Bankotsu
March 27, 2013 at 00:19

Time for U.S to call North Korea's bluff and invade North Korea.

Share your thoughts

Your Name
required
Your Email
required, but not published
Your Comment
required

Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly newsletter
The Diplomat Brief