Phablet Showdown: Samsung Galaxy Note II vs. Galaxy Mega 6.3 vs. Galaxy Note III
Image Credit: Prepayasyougo via Flickr

In 2011, Samsung broke the mold with its Galaxy Note “phablet,” the first smartphone to come equipped with a stylus and nearly tablet-sized 5.3-inch screen. The Note II, released last October, increased the already oversized screen to 5.5 inches.

But a jump to 5.5 inches was only the beginning. The recently released Galaxy Mega has taken the too-big-for-your-pocket crown away from the Note II – it packs a behemoth 6.3 inch display, with a 5.8-inch model available for those less bold. Technically speaking, however, the Mega falls into the mid-range category despite the giant screen.

For smartphone aficionados who want a premium experience attached to a pocket-busting display, the rumored Galaxy Note III is expected to pack a screen between 5.7 and 6 inches.

As far as smartphones go, a handset released in 2012 is sure to have some dated specs. But the Galaxy Note II still packs a punch against the current mid-range offerings. The 0.37-inch thick Note II has a 720p HD display with a 267 ppi resolution. It is powered by an Exynos 4 quad-core processor, clocked at 1.6GHz.

It packs 2GB of RAM, internal memory of 16, 32, or 64GB, and a microSD slot that accommodates cards up to 64GB. Battery capacity is a robust 3100 mAh. The Note II’s rear-facing camera is rated at 8MP, with an LED flash and a 1.9MP front shooter. It launched with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

Although newly released, the Galaxy Mega is not quite dazzling as far as the spec sheet is concerned. Both versions have been thinned out, with the 6.3-inch Mega only 0.31 inches thick. The Mega 6.3’s 720p HD display matches the aging Note II, but with only 233 ppi. The Snapdragon 400 processor is also weaker, with only two cores and 1.7GHz of processing power.

Memory is also trimmed down, with RAM at 1.5GB and internal storage options of only 8GB and 16GB. External storage is the same, accepting microSD cards up to 64GB. To accommodate a larger screen that is sure to suck up more juice, the battery of the Mega 6.3 has been increased to 3200 mAh. Both front and rear cameras will have identical pixel count as the Note II, but the Mega 6.3 will launch running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.

Surprisingly, the massive Galaxy Mega 6.3 doesn’t come with the popular S Pen stylus that previous Notes have been equipped with.

Moving on to Samsung’s next mammoth in the works, the Galaxy Note III has yet to be officially revealed, so the ultra phablet’s specifications are based only on the latest rumors. The screen will almost certainly be bumped up to full 1080p HD, and some outlets are reporting that it may be the first smartphone in history to utilize flexible display technology. Design cues will probably be taken from the Galaxy S4.

Under the hood, the Note III is likely to come with Samsung’s next generation Exynos 5 processor, which packs eight cores, or the quad-core Snapdragon 800 by Qualcomm. It could also boast a whopping 3GB of RAM. The camera will probably be upgraded to match the current S4, which comes with a 13MP rear shooter.

Through an industry source, Slashgear has claimed that the Note III will drop on September 4.

As for the respective price tags, Newegg.com lists an unlocked Galaxy Note II for $549.00, with an unlocked Galaxy Mega 6.3 selling for $529.00. GottaBeMobile estimates that the Galaxy Note III will debut for around $300 with a contract and $600 without.

Comments
Wahid
September 17, 2013 at 06:34

Built in wireless radio should be added and camera quality must be improved.

Sandra
September 4, 2013 at 00:41

I couldn’t agree more.I carry a huge hobo style handbag so no worries there.Currently I have the note 2 just waiting on the release of the Note 3 so I can do some comparing between it and the mega.

1pdanut
August 26, 2013 at 23:51

You’re hilarious!!lol!
I will say I have a Note 2 and the Mega and love the real estate on the phablet screens. Mega all the way! Lucky me, I carry a handbag, so no fanny pack required! ;-)

Harish Srivastava
August 16, 2013 at 06:27

Using galaxy tab since it was launched and last year bought galaxy note.I am happy with my both and dont need the change.The stylus is must for phablet.

johnny4
August 1, 2013 at 18:56

Might be bigger but half the specs…ill stick with a 1.6 quad core over a 1.7 dual core…ill keep my 2 gigs ram over the 1.5 gig the mega has to offer…I love my stylus in my note 2…and the biggest thing I dont like about the mega is…I DONT WANT TO GET BEAT UP FOR HAVING TO WEAR A FANNYPACK TO TRANSPORT THAT BEAST!!! Put an otterbox on that thing and its over…

Samir Sheikh
July 7, 2013 at 00:46

I still want to know what I should get the Mega, or Note 3. Right now I have the Note 2 and I love it. One thing I am disappointed about is that the Mega doesn’t have the stylus. I really want to know what to get. Any suggestions?

MzMocha305
July 5, 2013 at 15:25

I am actually excited about the Galaxy Mega… I can't wait for it to become available on Sprint. I have a fetish for smart phones and the bigger the better. Samsung is taking over the cellular department, especially with the Mega… Size is EVERYTHING!!!

9 dashes, 4 dishes, 1 soup
July 5, 2013 at 06:00

The Note II is not too big for pockets. It fits into either the front pocket of blue jeans or the inside pocket of a sport-coat. Even with a case, it leaves an 1/2 inch to spare in the front-pocket of blue jeans.

I don't want a bigger smart-phone. I don't want a smaller tablet. I like the choices I have right now.

StarOne
July 5, 2013 at 00:17

Would like to add another comment is that, it is imperative to include more features to a product and not removing it totally.

This is why many of the other brands fail to notice the customers' need and force them to switch brands and coming to a verge of winding up later when their sales drop.

In the present world of high tech environment it looks like radio is outdated but when everything in the world is shutdown due to whatever circumstances – natural or manmade disaster, radio broadcast will be the main source of information that lead the way.

StarOne
July 4, 2013 at 22:27

Like the Galaxy Note II, but one thing that hold back from upgrading from the Note I is that it does not have a built in radio tuner chip.

It is important because it is one of the feature that can provide up to date news without having to access to the internet at time when it is not possible to do so when you are working or work does not permit you to do so.

If a Galaxy Note III is on the planning table, please include a built in radio tuner. Even your competitor across the Pacific is on the verge of including a vitual radio on the latest version of 6 edition.

July 4, 2013 at 17:07

Can this phablet phone get any bigger than this?? 6.3?? Really?? What’s next, a 7″ behemoth w/edge-to-edge 4K display? All glass, no physical front buttons, just pure screen.