Every Wednesday, The Diplomat’s editorial team gazes out across the web to find our readers the best material involving all things China. From Beijing’s relations with its neighbors, its growing military might, and a rapidly growing and evolving economy, to amazing arts and culture, we present a diverse grouping of articles for your reading pleasure.
Here is our top five this Wednesday. Have we missed something? Want to share an important article with other readers? Please submit your links in the comment box below!
1. The Big One: (Foreign Policy) – “Is China covering up another flu pandemic — or getting it right this time?”Enjoying this article? Click here to subscribe for full access. Just $5 a month.
2. China Quake Response Goes High-Tech (Japan Times) – “Beijing swiftly rolls out mobile ATM’s, power charging tents.”
3. Japan PM Abe Warns China of Force Over Islands Landing– (BBC) – “Japan would respond with force if any attempt is made to land on disputed islands, PM Shinzo Abe has warned.”
4. Old Sore Spots Flare Up in China– Japan Disputes (New York Times) – “Lawmakers in Tokyo visited a shrine whose symbolism has angered China, while the two nations square off over contested islands.”
5. Apple’s China Growth Slows – (China Daily) – Apple Inc. reported slower sales growth in China during its most recently completed quarter, as the gadget maker saw its first profit decline since 2003.